MOTEL CALIFORNIA is a celebration of sparkling blue pools, flashing neon signs, automatic ice machines and bleached white towels. It is the story of the rapid rise and subsequent decline of the individually owned mom-and-pop motel in The Golden State. It is an exploration of theme-based marketing and a documentation of American culture at perhaps what will be the most prosperous time in United States history.
Previous titles from the author include Mid century by the Bay.
Motel California: $45 plus tax (CA only) & shipping.
* Please contact us for bulk orders and international shipping.
- Book Review - CA Modern magazine – FALL 2018 - “That’s Entertainment”
- Heather David's Coffee Table Tome Plumbs the Kooky History of Golden State Motels - Metro News
- "Motel California" By Heather M. David (Review)
- California’s Best Midcentury Motels, Mapped - Curbed, Los Angeles
- 2017 holiday books gift guide - San Francisco Chronicle
- 10 great gift ideas for antiques, collectibles lovers - The Mercury News
- New Book Highlights Mid-Century "Motel California" Era - KVPR Radio
- Santa Rosa’s Remodeled Astro Motel Readies for Liftoff - The Press Democrat
- California Motels Offer Blasts From The Past, Atomic Ranch
Photo by Heather David
"For some travelers, the motel experience was the closest they might have to visiting the Hawaiian Islands… or a trip to the moon!"
SFMOMA Gift Shop
151 3rd St.
San Francisco, CA 94103
1881 W San Carlos St.
San Jose, CA 95128
Museum of Neon Art
216 S. Brand Blvd.
Glendale, CA 91204
170 N Palm Canyon Dr
Palm Springs, CA
Want to become a retailer? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org